Frequently Asked Questions
1) What makes TriVista different from a typical home automation seller?
- We are NOT a cash & carry audio/video reseller. We are a home automation specialist.
- We are a certified installation contractor. We work closely with builders, and we practice strong project management.
- We go well beyond home entertainment. We automate anything in the home, including systems such as swimming pools, radiant floor heating, security, surveillance, comfort control, etc.
- We deliver strong safety and security systems as an essential integrated element of a truly automated home.
- We offer low-cost solutions for small homes, all the way to complex systems for larger homes.
- We operate in different cities.
- We have a full-functioning demonstration facility that simulates an entire home.
- We have a comprehensive service and after-care program.
2) How many door and window contacts should I install?
The more contacts you install the more secure and protected your home will be. Your home can warn you of open doors/windows. If a window is left open your home can turn off the Heating/Cooling to reduce wasted energy. It also allows for exceptionally secure perimeter arming while sleeping.
3) How many motion detectors should I install?
You should install motion detectors as a back up to the window contacts. Select all the main open areas on the ground floor, especially hall ways and entrances.
4) What other contacts should I consider while I can still run wire pre-drywall?
- Gas detectors: this detector can alert you of a gas leak
- Sump pump alarm: this detector can alert you if the sump pump fails
- Flood detector: this detector can alert you if there is a water leak or pipe break in the home
- Smoke detector tie in: this detector connects your existing/newly installed electrical smoke detectors to the Automation controller. This feature allows your home to sound the siren alarm to ensure occupants wake up or it has the ability to call the fire department if there is nobody home during a fire emergency.
5) What practical use is there for a camera surveillance system?
There are many reasons for installing cameras. Below are a few of the more popular ones:
- Continuously monitor/watch infant's bedroom from your regular television or in home computer. Cameras can also be hidden in smoke detectors to maintain decor.
- Screen visitors at the front door. Your home can even unlock the door if an electric strike is installed.
- Protect your property and family by recording movement in certain areas outside the home. You can also have the system alert you that someone is there.
- Watch the kids in the pool/monitor the pool area while you're away from your home.
6) How can I view the cameras and can they record video?
You can have the cameras tuned in to a channel (of your choice) on your existing/new cable or satellite service. Viewing the camera is as simple as changing the channel. Every camera will have its own channel.
You can use your personal computer to view and or record all cameras. You also have the ability to view your cameras remotely from anywhere on the WWW.
7) How can I choose which controller to use?
- Purchase the entry level controller if you have 8 or less security zones and there is no chance of integrating more then one other system (such as light control) to the system. There is only one serial port on this controller so if you use it for lighting you will not be able to upgrade to internet accessibility later on.
- Purchase the mid range controller if you have between 8 and 16 zones and you want to allow some room for future expansion.
- Purchase the ultimate controller if you have 16 or more zones and you want more then one serial port. This controller also comes with an Ethernet Port on board for easy connection to your house network which allows for maximum future proofing.
8) What is the web based software all about?
This software allows you to access your home from anywhere on the WWW. It allows you to check status or to make changes to your homes environment, whether it be lights, security, heating and air conditioning or any other automated device.
9) Why would I install temperature sensors?
You can use a temp sensor outside or inside the home to provide information to the central controller. The central controller then uses that information to make decisions that you can define. Here are a few examples:
- Warn off frost so flowers can be covered.
- Automatically close garage doors.
- Turn off pool heaters at a certain temperature.
- Control furnace based on outside temperature.
- Warn you if the furnace fails in cold weather.
- Warn you if the temperature of the cold storage or wine cellar drops out of range.
10) Why would I need a thermostat connected to the Automation system?
The main reason for this is to save energy. Heating/Cooling is automatically adjusted based on occupancy. Your home will automatically set back the thermostat when you leave and reinstate it when you arrive at home. Your smart home will maintain perfect comfort levels while reducing wasted energy.
When combined with the web based software you can control your thermostat from anywhere on the WWW.
11) Why would I buy an Automation system verses a conventional alarm system?
Would you invest in a brand new cassette player today? When you're spending your hard earned dollars you want to get the most for your money. What an automation system can do for you is only limited by your imagination. Here are a few examples:
- Make your house more safe by having cameras or lights controlled by the system.
- Make your house more comfortable by always having the temperature set to your liking.
- Save money - lights can turn off automatically if not needed. Use lower light levels to economize on consumption.
- Adding entertainment by having whole house music and preset lighting scenes.
- Easy programming from your own Personal Computer or Turnkey installation.
- Protect your property and family via cameras.
- Temperature based decision making.
- Furnace control automatically or from the internet.
- Access the entire system through keypads, touch panels, in house phone, cell phone, TV screens or remotely via the internet.
- Future proof your home. As technology advances you will want to have a system that can grow with the new technology.
- Control irrigation systems.
- Control pool temperature.
- Control or monitor wine cellars or cold storage rooms.
- Control energy hungry appliances and ensure fireplaces and floor heating are shut off when not needed.
- Control energy costs by managing your household energy usage.
12) Why would I automate lights?
- Eliminate wall clutter
- Stylish keypads
- Simulated occupancy
- If your home detects and emergency it can turn on all lights
- Identification through engraving
13) What can I control with my Home Automation system?
You can control almost any electrical device in your home. Examples include: Television, Home Theatre, Whole House Audio, Lighting, Security, HVAC, Video Surveillance, Garage Doors, Pool etc.
14) What interface can I use to control my home?
Anything in your home can be controlled from any of your interfaces. Examples include: LCD Keypad, In-Wall Touch Screens, Wireless Touch Screens, Universal remote with LCD and IPOD Touch.
15) Is my TV and Audio set up for the best audio and visual experience they can deliver?
Yes! TriVista will be using advanced audio and video calibration software to ensure that you get the best experience out of the equipment that you purchase.
16) Where can I view my video surveillance cameras from?
Any touch control4 touch screen. For example: the ipod touch, any TV in your house, any computer on the internet and any cell phone that supports it.
17) Should I buy a Plasma TV, LCD TV or a projector to display video?
This has always been a popular question among consumers. Each one is an impressive piece of equipment. Please see below for some advantages of each:
- Longer lifespan.
- Uses less power (up to 30% less).
- Better for gaming and using as a computer screen.
- No screen burn in like a plasma TV (although new plasma TV's have greatly reduced or eliminated this problem).
- Higher native resolution (more pixels).
- Brighter screen.
- Better black level (contrast). Example: Watching a movie such as "The Dark Night" with many night scenes it will look better the higher the contrast level. Contrast ratio is the measurement of a display, defined as the ratio of the brightest white and the darkest black that a display is capable of handling.
- Better for viewing fast moving video (though this is not a problem with 120hz LCD displays).
- Better viewing angles.
- Display huge high definition images. An image can cover a whole wall.
- Indulge in more of a true theatre experience.
- Mounted on the ceiling or in a cabinet for a clean/hidden look.
18) Why buy a TV from TriVista instead of from a Big Box store?
- A better TV. We sell only TVs that are good quality. Many TVs in big box stores are specially made for lower price points.
- Automation Integration. We sell TVs that we know integrate well with any smart home integration you may purchase from us.
- Calibration. We'll make sure that your TV is tuned and calibrated properly so that you get optimal picture quality.
- System Integration. If you purchase a home theatre and/or a home automation system from us, we make sure it works properly with all the other devices it is connected to.
- After-Sale Care. We address any problems in any device we sell to you. One supplier for all issues.